Life Is Fine


I went down to the river,

I set down on the bank.

I tried to think but couldn't,

So I jumped in and sank.


I came up once and hollered!

I came up twice and cried!

If that water hadn't a-been so cold

I might've sunk and died.


But it was Cold in that water! It was cold!


I took the elevator

Sixteen floors above the ground.

I thought about my baby

And thought I would jump down.


I stood there and I hollered!

I stood there and I cried!

If it hadn't a-been so high

I might've jumped and died.


But it was High up there! It was high!


So since I'm still here livin',

I guess I will live on.

I could've died for love--

But for livin' I was born


Though you may hear me holler,

And you may see me cry--

I'll be dogged, sweet baby,

If you gonna see me die.


Life is fine! Fine as wine! Life is fine!


- Langston Hughes

No comments: